Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Battery Drain


Time to Recharge
Finally I have run down the battery in my Garmin watch for the first time since the Bradbury Punisher race well back at the start of October. I’m sure my body appreciates the relaxed pace of my runs and the infrequency. So I did procure a spot in the Mid Winter 10 Miler. I know it’s a road race, but at least it’s one in the middle of winter,.
Today I drained the battery on a six mile run on the east side of Bradbury. The ground is totally frozen over which actually made the footing much better. I had been over there on Sunday for a Trail Monster group run. Not many people out and I was the only male. A pleasant time, good to get out and stretch the legs and enjoy the trail while not being obsessed with training. I talked a lot of kids literature with Valerie as her kids are college age and mine just starting school, but it was good to hear about what she enjoyed reading to her kids, and what they liked listening too. I’m reading the Oz books to my kids, which actually kind of stink, the movie is so, so much better than the book, and after reading more, we’re currently on the fifth, I know why there are no other movies. But alas, my kids love them and so I read. My wife is almost done with the Narnia series and is wondering what to read next. Valerie gave me some ideas.
Back to running. My pace today was very moderate, so I had plenty left to finish under a seven minute pace coming back up the Link Trail, all 0.3 miles of it. There was nobody else out and just one guy getting ready to bike when I got back to the parking lot. There was ice on the beaver pond and I did step on the edge to check it out and was very surprised that it didn’t crack at all. Especially since I am longer at race weight.
I do think the lack of running has had a negative effect on my body. I had a minor internal infection that had me on some medicine for a couple weeks, and fighting off a fever the last few days. Last year after I stopped training I had some troubles with my nasal passages and surrounding area. It would be an interesting study for someone, much smarter than me, to study a runner’s body after it stops training. I’m sure someone has, I just haven’t read about it.
So while I write this, my watch recharges and my body recovers. I wonder how long it will be before I have to charge the watch again?

No comments:

Post a Comment