Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Refrozen Ground

A week removed from my last run at Bradbury which featured a wet, soft ground, whereas the week before it was all frozen, and now, well, frozen. I wonder what will happen next week? Maybe some snow. That would be nice. I am looking forward to breaking out the snowshoes. Not to run, but just to enjoy.
Well, I did one loop of the Breaker Course again. I haven't studied my times comparing weeks, but I felt good. Took in the views a little less, although I did try to look more west from the summit, really hoping to see some of the Whites, but instead only got a view of a smokestack probably from a mill in Westbrook. It was about then my stomach started feeling very uncomfortable. After I turned on the Tote Trail, it got much worse and soon I was running off trail. I tried to dig a little hole, but of course the ground was frozen, so I did just what I needed to do. That is something I love about trail running. System all set and back to normal, no need to feel too uncomfortable for too long. It was a further challenging with the ground frozen that all the leaves seemed to be frozen to the ground as well. But I managed to free up just enough, and used some more to cover my remants along with a couple sticks. Chances that someone comes across that same exact spot and soils their shoes is probably greater than winning the Powerball, but with much less reward. Sorry.
After the Tote and up Northern, I decided to head down the Terrace Trail instead of the Switchback as there was some ice and the Switchback has a few known wetspots. It was after coming down the Terrace that I opened it up a little heading back to the parking lot. I always love running almost all out here on the Boundary Trail. And I especially love it when I know there aren't going to be any people around. It felt great to come in to the lot breathing heavy but still having my legs feel nice and fresh. Even as I fired up the minivan I couldn't wait to come back later in the day for a walk with my Quinn and Wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment