Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

Runner's World vs. Trail Runner

Just when I was really missing some good literature that I could bring into the bathroom with me, two periodicals arrived within a day of each other. The first to arrive was Runner's World, and although I immediately flipped through the pages, I really didn't find any great stories that made me want to put on my running shoes right away. I was also planning a zero day anyway so I took it as is and played more with the dog while the kids were at school.
However the next day, Friday, came around and Trail Runner magazine was in the mailbox. Although this wasn't the greatest edition ever, it did get my blood boiling. After I dropped Quinn off at pre-school I drove over to Hedgehog Mountain to run on trails that I hadn't been on in probably well over a month. Mostly that is due to the fact that hunting is allowed there, and well, I don't think I'm tough enough to withstand metal piercing into and tearing my flesh apart.
It was great to be back out on those trails. I had been the past couple of days with Wild, and Quinn but now I could cover much more. Not an awful lot of changes, but it 's fun to notice the small subtle changes. Like the way a bridge is slowly perching to one side, how the trail is getting wider around one large tree, or especially how a tree has fallen across the trail, or even one that has been removed. I was a little bummed that I couldn't see Mt. Washington but I did the day before. I also had to tack on some repeat trails in order to come to a full five mile run. Mostly a steady pace, but a couple places that I always like to pick it up, I did just that.
It was fun to come home and read my new mag while downing some lunch. This issue featured race listings for the whole year throughout the country. And although there wasn't even one that I could say that I really wanted to do, or could at least easily plan into my real world life, the issue got me realizing that I can't go on for much longer just being a recreational runner. Training will have to start again.

No comments:

Post a Comment